FlightMap for Android is a second screen navigation utility for Microsoft’s Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Lockheed Martin’s Prepar3D (P3D). Use FlightMap to plot your simulated location and flight plans on Google Maps in real time.
FlightMap uses a free server component called FlightConnect which runs on the same computer as the Flight Simulator. FlightConnect must be installed and running before FlightMap will function. FlightConnect is available for free from my website here: https://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/flightconnect/
FlightMap has been removed from sale due to GDPR and other issues. I am investigating what it would take to open source the code and make it fully available for free. At a minimum that means removing Google Maps. Existing owners of the application can still download it from the Play Store by finding it in your purchased applications.
FlightMap Feature Overview:
– Designed for tablets with a screen size 7 inches and larger
– Maps simulated aircraft position in real time on top of Google Maps.
– Supports Standard, Satellite, Hybrid Satellite, and Terrain map types.
– Over 35 selectable aircraft to use as the aircraft display icon.
– Compass rose overlaid on the map view for easier navigation and orientation.
– “TRK” Toggle: Ability to switch between north up and plane heading up in the map view.
– Database of over 500 major airports throughout the entire world that can be shown on the map
– Ability to show Airports, NDB’s, and VOR’s within ~200 miles of the aircraft (this feature is limited to the available data from FSX and P3D)
– Simple network setup. Just run FlightConnect on the pc and hit launch in FlightMap to connect
– Simulated gauges for Air Speed, Altitude, Heading, and Fuel Levels for all tablets
– Automatic Airspeed Gauge Selection: 100, 200, 240, 280, 360, 450, 540, 900 knot
– On 7 inch tablets the gauges are shown and hidden thru tapping or pulling down the top of the screen
Adhoc Flight Plans
– Support for ad-hoc flight plans via the built in plan mode.
– Shows distance to waypoint and estimated time to waypoint based off current airspeed in Adhoc flight mode.
– Easily add airport, NDB, or VOR’s to the adhoc flight plan or view NDB and VOR frequencies in GPS mode.
FSX/P3D Flight Plan Support
– Full FSX and P3D active flight plan support in the FlightMap “GPS” mode.
– Compatible with most 3rd party flight plan tools. Just load the flight plan in FSX or P3D and it shows in FlightMap
– Display next waypoint information including ID, Distance, Altitude, ETE, CTS, and DTK in FSX/P3D Flight Plan mode
– Supports FSX/P3D airport approach modes. Next approach waypoint will be plotted when active
PLEASE NOTE: FlightMap does not support mobile networks.
7 inch tablet screenshots:
10 inch tablet screenshots:
FlightMap 2.8 has been released to the Play Store. This version is a maintenance release fixing several issues with cheaper 7 inch tablets. This version also fixes and issue with fonts and the new menu overlays. Memory improvements and updates to the major google libraries are also included.
FlightMap 2.7 has been released to the Play Store. This version adds many user requested features including regional airport/vor/ndb’s, improved auto zoom, scaled overlay aircraft, and many more.
FlightMap 2.6 has been released to the Play Store. This version adds gauge support to smaller tablets
FlightMap 2.5 has been released to the Play Store. This version has several improvements for 7 inch tablets and now includes support for 8 inch tablets. This version also has full support for French and Spanish languages.
FlightMap version 2.0 has been released to the Play Store. This version adds 7 inch tablet support.
FlightMap version 1.9 has been released to the Play Store. This version adds support for full FSX and P3D flight plan display in GPS mode, added Course To Steer (CTS) back into the display for GPS mode, Added Estimated Time to waypoint for adhoc Flight Plan mode, Improved the main launch page to make it easier to use, and added support for 10 inch 4×3 tablets like the HP TouchPads running Android. All map features are available in the TouchPad but due to lack of screen space the Gauges were removed.
FlightConnect version 1.8 has been released supporting Lockheed Martin’s simulator Prepar3D. All features of FlightMap are compatible with this new simulator.
FlightMap version 1.7.2 has been released to the Google Play store. I’ve also released the update for the trial version as well.
FlightMap version 1.6.1 has just been released to the Google Play store and should be arriving on tablets very soon. This is a very exciting release.
FlightMap Release History:
New features in version 1.6:
- Added TRK feature to NAV and GPS modes. This toggles the map display to north up or heading up.
- Updated flight plan display in NAV and PLN modes. Active waypoint will be in blue and inactive waypoinys in gray
- Added automatic switch to next waypoint in NAV mode when within 1 NM of the waypoint
- Added distance to waypoint display to NAV mode
- Updated GA Airspeed Indicator to be calibrated in 20 knot increments instead of 25.
- Updated Airspeed Indicator and Altitude indicator graphics
- Added next waypoint display info including ETE, Distance, Altitude, CTS, and DTK to GPS mode
New Features in version 1.7.2:
- Added GPS Waypoint ID to the display
- Added second display to the ETE
- Improved the compass rose display on each of the map types.
- Improved international support
- New follow aircraft
- Major performance improvements
New Features in version 1.9:
- Full FSX and P3D flight plan support in GPS mode
- Course To Steer (CTS) added to GPS mode display
- Estimated time to waypoint (ETE) added to Adhoc flight plan mode (NAV mode)
- Improved the launch page for ease of use as well as other fixes for launching the app
- 10 inch 4×3 tablet support like the HP TouchPad running Android 4.0. 4×3 tablets don’t get the Gauges
New Features in version 2.0:
- Full support for 7 inch tablets!!!
New Features in version 2.5:
- Full Language support for French and Spanish
- On tablets that can’t support the gauges due to screen size the indicated altitude, airspeed, and direction is now overlaid in the upper left corner of the map.
- Improvements to the auto detection of FlightConnect and better support for when the ip address of the server changes
New Features in version 2.6:
- Gauge support for smaller tablets
- Support for 9.7 inch Android tablets with Retina Displays
- Improved graphics and layouts for all tablet sizes
- Better support for FSX/P3D approach vector display
- Improved initial network communication between FlightMap and FlightConnect
- Added 10 more aircraft to the selection for a total of 28
New Features in version 2.7:
- Changed: MAP selection button changed to a popup menu for easier selection
- Changed: APT selection button changed to DATA. It’s now a popup menu with more options
- New: DATA – Airports, VOR’s, or NDB’s within ~200 miles of aircraft via DATA menu.
- New: Airport markers now display ICAO
- New: In NAV or PLAN mode press VOR or NDB for info dialog, tap dialog to add station to adhoc flight plan.
- New: The overlay aircraft now scales with the zoom level
- New: Support for automatic switching of landscape orientations. Flip the tablet over…
- Updated: ASI – Updated graphics and added 240 and 280 knot options
- Updated: Direction Indicator – New graphics and added AP Heading bug
- Updated: 7 new overlay aircraft for total of 35
- Improved: Auto Zoom has more steps.
- Improved: More than doubled the hit area of the bottom buttons on 7 and 8 inch tablets
New Features in version 2.8:
- Fixed: Fixed issue with system fonts causing menu popups to be displayed improperly
- Fixed: Fixed issue with docking/undocking tablets
- Improved: Reduced memory usage
- Improved: Better support for low end tablets
- Updated: Latest Google Maps and support libraries
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I use the GPS Flight Plan feature
FlightConnect is designed to automatically detect the loading of flight plans within FSX and P3D. All you have to do is make sure that FlightConnect is running when you load that flight plan. Once FlightConnect detects the flight plan is loaded it will automatically send the waypoint information to FlightMap and the GPS option will become enabled. You will then be able to click the GPS button and get access to all of the next waypoint information and see the full flight plan on the map. If you load the flight plan before FlightConnect is running you will only see the next waypoint in the flight plan. To fix this simply reload the flight plan and say no to the move aircraft to starting airport option.
Airports are missing from the regional area
FlightMap does it’s best to display all of the airports within a 200 mile radius of the aircraft. Unfortunately, the API’s that Microsoft provides are a little buggy. Sometimes when the simulator is launched the airports in the immediate area will not be shown. Other times random airports will never show up. This is a caching error in FSX and it still exists in P3D and there is unfortunately nothing I can do to fix it. Lockheed Martin has been made aware of the issue so hopefully it will be fixed in an upcoming version of P3D. Microsoft is no longer issuing updates to FSX so I do not expect to see it fixed there.
I’ve got the airport/ndb/vor’s visible but they are no longer showing up?
FlightMap loads in all of the airports, ndb’s, and vor’s in the area when you click on the option to display them. If you fly for a while you will go out of the area that was initially loaded. Due to issues described in the question above I am unable to automatically refresh the data. I have provided the ability to manually refresh it. Simply press and hold the “data” button and after a second a message will display stating that FlightMap is pulling and updated list.
Open Source Software Used in FlightMap
- 6Wunderkinder SlidingLayer: https://github.com/6wunderkinder/android-sliding-layer-lib
- Android Change Log: https://code.google.com/p/android-change-log/