After a long time coming I’m happy to announce the immediate release of FlightMap 2.10. While there is not a lot new to see this is a massive upgrade to the application. I had to spend a lot of time reworking the code to work with the new Google Maps. I also moved to a completely new and modern build system for the app. It should make it much easier for me to program now.
There is one new feature in this build. I have added a scale bar to the map. This is an often requested feature and you can now find it in the top right corner of the map view.
The next step is to do the same upgrade for FlightGauge
Over the past few months I have seen an increase in application crashes due to memory issues. Almost all of these crashes were deep in the Google Maps library which FlightMap uses for the map view. This was caused by an update to the Google Play Services on the user’s tablet in July. I have made a number of changes to FlightMap to mitigate this problem and I believe I have worked around it.
Google has been making a lot of changes to Android over the last year and FlightMap and FlightGauge will continue to get updates to keep in line with these changes. My day job and life have slowed updates down a bit but I do have plans for updates to both applications in the near future.
On a different note, I have had to remove the country of Japan from countries FlightMap and FlightGauge are sold in. As of October 1st individuals are required to pay taxes directly to the Japanese government and I do not have the resources to deal with this. If you are a user from Japan you will still be able to use the application I just won’t be selling it in that country any more and I am truly sorry for this.
FlightConnect, the application used by FlightMap and FlightGauge to talk to FSX and P3D, has been updated. This update includes support for FS9 flight plans. Third party flight plan software tends to output in the older format so FlightConnect can now utilize them. This version also better handles the situation where SimConnect is not properly installed for FSX. Users will get an error dialog on application startup letting them know that FlightConnect cannot talk to FSX.
The FlightMap and FlightGauge trial versions on the Play Store have been updated to the latest release. I had not updated either for several revisions so this update includes all of the fixes and features from the last several major releases.
The latest release of FlightGauge for Android, a second screen cockpit instrument panel for Microsoft’s Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Lockheed Martin’s Prepar3D (P3D), has been release to the Play Store. This version improves support for low end tablets and includes many performance and stability updates.
A few days ago FlightGauge 1.2 was released. This version improves the 10 inch tablet view to better utilize the screen space and improve the visibility of the gauges. FlightGauge is a real time second screen instrumentation view that works with Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D. FlightGauge supports 7 inch tablets and larger running Android 4.0+.
FlightGauge is a second screen cockpit panel replacement for Flight Simulator aircraft. FlightGauge is designed for Android 4.0+ tablets works with Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Prepar3D.
This a quick update version that fixes one known issue and adds one new feature:
– Fixed a display issue with the main overlay on 8 inch tablets
– Added sensor rotation. Now supports either landscape orientation.
FlightGauge is available for purchase on the Android Play Store here:
Vine Ripe Software is pleased to announce the release of FlightMap 2.7 to the Google Play Store. This version includes many new features requested by users including regional airports, NDB’s, VOR’s, any many more. FlightMap is a second screen navigation utility for Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Lockheed Martin Prepar3D (P3D). Use FlightMap to plot your simulated location and flight plans on Google Maps in real time.
Here is the full change log:
* Changed: MAP selection button changed to a popup menu for easier selection
* Changed: APT selection button changed to DATA. It’s now a popup menu with more options
* New: DATA – Airports, VOR’s, or NDB’s within ~200 miles of aircraft via DATA menu.
* New: Airport markers now display ICAO
* New: In NAV or PLAN mode press VOR or NDB for info dialog, tap dialog to add station to adhoc flight plan.
* New: The overlay aircraft now scales with the zoom level
* New: Support for automatic switching of landscape orientations. Flip the tablet over…
* Updated: ASI – Updated graphics and added 240 and 280 knot options
* Updated: Direction Indicator – New graphics and added AP Heading bug
* Updated: 7 new overlay aircraft for total of 35
* Improved: Auto Zoom has more steps.
* Improved: More than doubled the hit area of the bottom buttons on 7 and 8 inch tablets